Christmas Day is a day for fat pants. Families and friends gather to celebrate the day raising toasts and eating twice their body weight. I know I like to tuck into the full fry for breakfast followed by turkey, ham and all the trimmings for dinner. If that wasn’t enough there is also the usual inhaling of a tin or two of Roses or Celebrations. It’s certainly enough eating and drinking to send you into a food coma for the afternoon.
While my Granny was still alive, lord rest her, she spent weeks leading up to Christmas preparing traditional Christmas puddings for the entire family. Now I must admit that I’m not the biggest fan of Christmas pudding so as an alternative to it I have a delicious recipe for a chocolate orange pudding. Despite the fact it’s made with chocolate it’s quite light and makes a great dessert. It might even keep you awake long enough to watch Home Alone for the billionth time.
Chocolate Orange Pudding
(Recipe makes 2)
- 60g of dark chocolate
- 1 large egg
- Icing Sugar
- Castor Sugar
- Zest of one orange
- Preheat your oven to 190°C OR 170°C for a fan assisted oven.
- Melt the chocolate in bowl over hot water or in the microwave.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Separate the egg and the white and whisk the white with a little castor sugar until it’s fluffy.
- Mix the yolk into the cooled chocolate.
- Add the orange zest and mix through.
- Gently fold in the egg white and pour into the ramekins.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar and some orange zest and enjoy while it’s hot.
Note: see steps in pictures below.